Pages Navigation Menu

Breaking news in Uganda and around the world

DPP drops murder charges against senior police officer

DPP drops murder charges against senior police officer

The Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) has dropped murder charges against the interdicted Central Police Commander Aaron Baguma.

Through his representative Alex Ojok, a principal state attorney, the DPP said he is discontinuing the murder charges against Baguma.
“My Lord, I have instructions from the DPP to discontinue charges against A8 (Baguma). We have a nolle prosequi signed on December 21 by the DPP,” Mr Ojok told court
“Article 108 of the Constitution gives the DPP powers to discontinue criminal charges at any stage,” he said.

A nolle prosequie is a legal term to mean ” unwilling to pursue” or it’s a phrase to mean “do not prosecute”.
No reasons were given for the discontinuation of the charges since the Constitution gives the DPP liberty not to disclose the reasons why.
The same Constitution gives the DPP powers to discontinue criminal charges against any suspect at any stage before judgment is delivered.
Mr Ojok told court that nolle prosequi notice wihdrawing the murder charges Baguma was done by the DPP on December 21 last year.
Ms Senoga, discontinued the murder charges against Baguma and discharged him.
But the rest of the eight suspects including Mr Ssebuwufu, will return to court on February 6 for trial.

Mr Baguma has been battling charges of having a hand in the murder of businesswoman Betty Donah Katusabe.

On December 19, 2017, the matter came up before High Court Judge Flavia Anglin Senoga for plea taking and hearing but state prosecutor, Ms Fatuma Nakafeero said as prosecution, they did not have a police file.

“My Lord, we (prosecution) don’t have the police file and to that effect, we are asking for an adjournment to another date of January 10th next year,” Ms Nakafeero pleaded then.
The presiding judge and the Baguma’s defence, Mr Abraham Akampumire, did not object to the adjournment.

Justice Senoga adjourned the matter to Wednesday, January 10 and issued a production warrant for suspects on remand and extended the bail for those who were out of prison.

Mr Baguma was jointly charged with eight others including the proprietor of Pine Car Bond, Mr Muhammed Ssebuwufu, where the deceased (Ms Katusabe) was killed using sticks and pangas for allegedly failing to clear a Shs9m balance on the car she had bought from the car depot.

The suspects face charges of murder, kidnap with intent to murder and aggravated robbery.
It’s only Mr Baguma, Mr Ssebuwufu and three other suspects who are apparently out of jail after successfully applying for bail.

After being charged with murder late last year, Mr Baguma was interdicted and has been earning half of his salary until his case is concluded.

Monitor

Follow us on twitter @theugandatoday

Also, Like us on facebook

Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!

Notify of
avatar